Penny For Your Thoughts

August 22, 1896
Penelope Sumter

“Out with it all ready.” I said.

Wilbur looked over at me, taking his eyes off the road ahead for the first time in over an hour.

“Out with what?”

“Something has been eating you since we left home.”

“Whatever makes you say that?”

“The way you’ve been acting.”

“How have I been acting?”

“Like something has you upset.”

“I don’t get upset.”

“Hah! You are talking to me you know.”

“Are you calling me a liar?”

“No, just less than forthcoming with the truth. Look, I know father sent you away with me and it is probably to have us both out of the way.”

“What do you thin he would want us out of the way for and what gives you the idea we could pose an obstacle for anything he wants to do anyway?”

“All those meetings at the house and that man who brought James back. There are things going on and it is not father’s usual business routine. I am not a complete idiot. Obviously you are little more in on what is going on than I am but I have the feeling what you do know, you don’t approve.”

“You have been reading too many Sherlock Holmes stories.”

“Maybe, but I do know father prefers to keep me wondering in the dark than lie to me about things he knows I will disagree with.”

“That is because you don’t know how to disagree civilly.”

“Just because I wish to argue out my points of view?”

“No, because you inevitably turn the argument in directions far more personal when you begin to lose.”

“I do no such thing.”

“Hah!”

“Don’t mimic me.”

Wilbur laughed.

“Finally, a smile from my dear brother.” I said.

“All right, you win. Father and I have some serious differences of opinion in regards to the future of the South and of the Country as a whole.”

“It comes as no surprise to me. So, what has you angry?”

“Nothing. Father didn’t send me away, I chose to leave. I arranged for my own employment in Providence without father’s help. What angers me is he insists on keeping the appearance of being in control even when he is not.”

“Oh. I didn’t know.”

“Of course not, because he told you before I could.”

“You know he loves you?”

“Like he loves you? He sends you away here, hoping to marry you off to someone with political connections and money he can use. That is not love, Penelope.”

“He only wants a good life for us.”

“He only wants for himself and he uses everyone and everything around him. You don’t know him like I do.”

“He is our father.”

“Yes, but fortunately it does not mean we have to be like him.”

“What is it he is doing?”

“I do not know for certain, but I know he is meddling in a great many affairs including the workings of your school.”

“You suspect more than you are saying.”

“I will keep them to myself until if and when I have evidence to prove myself correct.”

“Whatever you tell me will remain between us, Wil. You can trust me.”

“I know, but some things are better left unsaid.”

1 comment:

Paul said...

Melanie, mystery on mystery!!!
Warm hugs,
Paul.