My Purr-fect Wife

August 8, 1896
Charles Birchwood

“I had a thought, Charles.” Caroline said from her side of the bed.

She stretched and yawned, reminding me of a cat, and she has been known to purr, but the image was shattered when she sat up and attempted to look serious. I often dread the days when thoughts pass through her head. They are rarely complete and rarer still of any value beyond humor. Of course she never reacts well when I laugh at her ideas, but I have ways of handling that.

“What is it this time?” I asked.

“Seeing as we are here at woman’s college, what if I enrolled in classes?”

I was stunned. Never in all our years together had I ever detected an inkling of interest education from her before.

“You?” I said, allowing the shock to penetrate my tone as well as my facial features.

“Yes, me! Why not?”

“Explain why you want to.”

“If you are just going to say no, I don’t want to bother.”

“Explain yourself and drop the attitude if you know what is good for you.”

“Fine.” She said with a huff.

She rolled her eyes too, but I decided to ignore it in the interest of finding out what exactly my darling wife was thinking. There must be ulterior motivations.

“Well, it is just I have been spending a lot of time around Edith and a little around Mrs. Carrington and just talking with them can make me feel rather foolish at times. So, I thought if I went to school like they have maybe I would not feel so foolish around them and people like them.”

I was surprised. Her reasoning was excellent for once.

“Do you realize the kind of commitment it is to enroll in classes? There are expectations, lots of work, which you will no doubt find boring, and it takes years to complete the education. It is not a summer frivolity which you can begin today and stop whenever you feel like it.”

“I know, Charles. I’ve given this a lot thought. I think it would be good for me.”

“And what about our children? While I am working and you are studying, who will look after them?”

“I’m sure we can make arrangements with someone around the school.”

“Of course, but is that in the best interest of our children?”

“I would agree that it is not necessarily ideal for them, but it could have advantages. Maybe they will be more inclined to study harder now when they realize I have to do it at my age because I did not when I was their age.”

“You have thought about this a lot. Did Miss Bowen help you construct your argument?”

“We discussed it, but my words are my own as is the desire.”

“If you are quite certain you wish to do this I see no harm in discussing it with the Dean. Perhaps it would be best if before you became a full fledged student you sat in on some of the classes so you truly understand what you would be getting yourself into.”

“You are wise as always.”

She smiled at me in a way that let me know she was teasing me. I smiled back and picked up her hairbrush from the dresser. Her eyes widened as I turned back to her.

“What did I do?” She asked.

It was not a protest, only a question to understand.

“Nothing.” I said.

I sat down on the bed beside her. She placed herself over my lap without waiting to be told. She has come a long ways and so I thought it was better to reward her. I patted her back softly and began running the brush through her long hair. She snuggled closer to me and began to purr.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Melanie, nice one girl.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of Caroline going to school. Does this mean that she could possibly have a diary or journal of her own?