Making Spirits Bright

November 20, 1896
Anna Cushing

“Ladies, the next carol is something a little more modern written by James Lord Pierpont in 1857. You will note the influence of Mozart during the chorus. The carol is entitled, 'One Horse Open Sleigh'. Let us begin by learning the music.” Mr. Birchwood said.

On a normal day I dread music class. I do not dislike music, but my heart is not in creating it. Someone, somewhere once made the mistake of suggesting all ladies must be talented in the art of music. God only has female angels playing harps, therefore it follows that all women must be educated so that they may one day take their place in His orchestra. If I have to play the violin in Heaven, then I think I would rather spend eternity in Hell or rather Heaven would be Hell.

However, Christmas carols are a true source of joy. What child does not frolic whilst singing the songs of Christmas? The warm thoughts of a crackling fire, the fresh scent of pine wafting through the air and the glimmer of ribbons on neatly wrapped packages beneath the tree; it is all Christmas and yet it is empty without the gleeful singing of carols.

I was therefore quite happy to be selected to sing rather than insult the song with my meager skills as a violinist. Mr. Birchwood surprised me with the introduction of a carol of such recent origin, but it is a pleasant surprise and one I hope to share with my family around the Christmas tree when the time comes next month.

It took only a few minutes of practice for Mr. Birchwood’s selected orchestra to master the notes and nuances of the melody. It is pleasant and joyful and wonderful. The tune captures the wonder and excitement of children on Christmas morning. It was not just me either, I could see it in the smiles around the room and feel it in the air around me.

Then it was time to sing,

Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Hear our voices ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to ride and sing
A sleighing song tonight

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what joy it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side,
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
He got into a drifted bank
And then we—we got upsot

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what joy it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

A day or two ago,
The story I must tell
I went out on the snow,
And on my back I fell;
A gent was riding by
In a one-horse open sleigh,
He laughed as there I sprawling lie,
But quickly drove away

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what joy it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

Now the ground is white
Go it while you're young,
Take the girls tonight
and sing this sleighing song;
Just get a bob tailed bay
Two forty for his speed
And hitch him to an open sleigh
And crack! you'll take the lead

Jingle bells, jingle bells,
Jingle all the way;
Oh! what joy it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

Mr. Birchwood applauded as we finished. He was beaming like a new father and we all felt it. I think I began the laughing but there is no proof. Once it started though, it was contagious, even Mr. Birchwood enjoyed a chuckle. Then in the far off distance the tower bell began to ring, reminding us it was not Christmas Day but a school day.

No comments: