Caroling Lessons

November 19, 1896
Charles Birchwood

“Good morning, ladies.”

They all beamed smiles at me as I entered the classroom nearly five minutes tardy. I am not accustomed to being so, but I awoke with a fervent idea for the day’s lesson and could not leave until I found the appropriate sheets which Caroline must have tucked away in the wrong book at the end of last year.

“Good morning Mr. Birchwood.” The ladies replied.

I quickly removed my outer jacket and hung it on the rack behind my desk and then opened my satchel to remove the sheets I had brought with. Tossing the satchel beneath my desk I moved with a light gate to my podium. I do so enjoy this time of year.

“I have made a last minute lesson plan change for today and I trust no one shall mind. When I was creating the fall schedule this summer, I neglected to insert time for indulging in seasonal music.” I announced.

The ladies murmured amongst themselves no doubt confused and excited by the last minute change. Miss Mathewson raised her arm to gain my attention.

“Yes?” I responded.

“Are you referring to Christmas Carols?” She asked.

I could not help the wide smile on my face as I replied, “Precisely.”

From there, the classroom erupted into a gay discussion of everyone’s favorite carols. It took me several moments to quiet them down but being in a good mood for the day I did not resort to any chastisement for their sudden lack of propriety. They did settle down when I cleared my throat a couple of times.

“Before we begin I think it is appropriate we learn about the origins of our modern carols. Caroling is not as new as many of you might think. The earliest carols were first sung around the year 1150 in France. The first carols were related to festivals and not religious in nature. The original purpose was celebration and carols were sung in circles accompanied by dancing. Then when the Protestant Reformation began in 1517 carols nearly became extinct. Then as a result of our Revolution from Britain in 1776 a revival of carols began as an accompaniment to the religious freedoms insured by our Bill of Rights.” I lectured.

The ladies were surprisingly attentive despite the monotone of my voice. I give them credit for their interest in the history of such trivial pursuits as Christmas carols. Some of the ladies even seemed to leaning forward and eager to hear more. I was happy to oblige.

“Most of today’s carols are remnants of rural carols which had little or no religious significance. In the early years of this century many of our churches adapted new lyrics to the music to give them their current form as Christmas carols. Are there any questions?” I said.

The ladies sat still and quiet.

“Excellent. Let us move on then to the first carol I wish to teach you. Miss Mathewson if would please step up to the piano.”

Miss Mathewson nearly skipped from her seat to the piano bench. For the first time since I began teaching at Primrose I felt I was connecting with all my students. Pride does not adequately describe the feeling of satisfaction and happiness buoying my own spirit. I handed the appropriate music sheet to Miss Mathewson and she began to play.

“Does anyone recognize the song?” I asked.

An army of hands shot up in the air.

“Miss Waters, please sing for us.” I requested.

Miss Waters stood and straightened her back. She seemed suddenly taller than I ever thought she was and then I noticed she was smiling. Not just upturned lips but a real and beautiful smile of happiness and with it I realized I had never before seen the young woman to be happy.

She began to sing.

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!
How are thy leaves so vibrant!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How are thy leaves so vibrant!
Not only in the summertime,
But even winter is thy prime.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How are thy leaves so vibrant!

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure does thou bring me!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure does thou bring me!
For every year the Christmas tree,
Brings to us all both joy and glee.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Much pleasure does thou bring me!

O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!
Each bough doth hold its tiny light,
That makes each toy to sparkle bright.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Thy candles shine out brightly!

As Miss Waters concluded, Miss Cushing’s hand was waving through the air.

“Yes, Miss Cushing?” I said.

“Those aren’t the lyrics.” She stated.

I chuckled.

“Aren’t they?” I said.

“No!” She said.

“Then perhaps you could sing the correct lyrics for us?”

Miss Cushing stood and began to sing her version.

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us.
They're green when summer days are bright;
They're green when winter snow is white.
O, Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us!

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
You give us so much pleasure!
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
You give us so much pleasure!
How oft at Christmas tide the sight,
O green fir tree, gives us delight!
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
You give us so much pleasure!

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us.
They're green when summer days are bright;
They're green when winter snow is white.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us!

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
Forever true your color
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
Forever true your color
Your boughs so green in summertime
Stay bravely green in wintertime
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
Forever true your color

Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
You fill my heart with music
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
You fill my heart with music
Reminding me on Christmas day
To think of you and then be gay
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree
You fill my heart with music

Upon her conclusion I instructed Miss Mathewson to cease playing. The ladies began to argue amongst themselves as to which version of the lyrics was correct. I find it amusing how something so simple can create such conflict.

“Ladies, ladies, quiet please.” I said.

They ignored me. I slammed my fist down on the podium and half of them nearly jumped out of their seats. The room quieted instantly.

“Perhaps none of you were paying attention earlier when I explained the songs have been given new lyrics. Both Miss Waters and Miss Cushing were correct and there are nearly a dozen other variations. The verses learned are dependent upon where, geographically speaking, one learns the carol. The music is always the same, it is only the vocal accompaniment which changes. The lesson my dear ladies is simple, words come and go but music is forever.”

No comments: