Joy In A Letter

November 25, 1896
Elizabeth Bassett

November 17, 1896

Dearest Lizzie,

I am still shaking my head in amazement over how you and your friends handled that riot. A fire cart? Truly? I always knew they had to be good for something since they never seem to work on the fires. It speaks volumes to think three women and one hose could put down a massive riot like that. Of course the newspapers have a different version of events, but I suppose it is to be expected.

I am completely jealous to hear you voted. David would not let me try because he was too afraid if I was caught, there would be no one to take care of Thomas. It makes sense but it still felt completely unfair. It is too bad your votes were not enough to sway the election but I often wonder if these elections are not smoke and mirrors in any regard. You must admit it would be a clever ploy to let the common man think his voice was being heard when in reality the decision was made without his input at all.

David has been working long hours lately. He sends his love to you and I am almost jealous because he often forgets to send me any. Some nights he does not even come home anymore, but I understand because I have been there with him before. Once an idea starts coming together it can be impossible to put it down or let it go. You get to the point you feel if you stop working you will lose the flicker of brilliance at the edge of your vision. He promises to come home while you and your parents are visiting for Christmas, but we shall see if he remembers.

Thomas has been growing so quickly you will not believe it when you see him. He has David’s eyes and your father’s nose, but I think he has my smarts. Nothing is safe from his curiosity and my mother tells me I was the same when I was a baby. He has all ready figured out how to work latches, no place is safe.

David was going to send you a ticket, but your father insisted he would arrange your travels to us. We worry about your parents though, it seems times have only become worse for them and the business is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Your father is a proud man and simply refuses to accept any assistance from us. Please wire us if you do not receive a ticket from your father soon. David and I will arrange your travels discreetly if necessary because we really want you to be here.

I would sit and write pages but I would rather talk in person when you arrive. Instead, I will come to an end here and wish you luck on your exams.

Love,
Sylivia Bassett

No comments: